Friday, April 9, 2010

Don't Leave Home Without It


Matt and I are less than 24 hours from departing to Cali. There are plenty of errands to run today, plenty of packing (like men ever pack ahead of time) and of course, loose ends to tie with our careers.

The unseasonably warm weather that seems to be setting records across the United States for the month of April is getting us prepared from Cali, where its warmest month is ... April. The 10-day forecast for Cali looks similar every day ... 80s and partly sunny, with a 60 percent chance of scattered storms.
Key for our backpacks ... God's word, our Bibles. What was incredible for me during our last trip to Colombia was carrying the Bible with me almost the entire day. We left our rooms with our Bibles for 6 AM prayer, we carried our Bible to our breakfast meeting, and then out in the mission field where it was in our arms at every doorstep. It remained in my arms during the late afternoon church service in each community (pictured) and was finally tucked away in my backpack for the trip back to the hotel where we grabbed a quick dinner.
Back in the hotel room, Matt and I always seemed to be searching for the right verse to capture what we experienced in the field that day. When we found ourselves talking about miracles we experienced until the wee hours of the morning ... we could track our stories to what the 12 Disciples of Jesus lived in the early chapters of the Book of Acts.
I can't imagine how my life would change if I would carry my Bible with me throughout my day here at home. I'm not bold enough, yet, so for now it's just a passing thought.

Our scripture today is from Acts 4:31 ... may we be filled with the Spirit, to advance our work in Colombia.


No comments:

Post a Comment